Kashifal Ki Sabji
Kashifal -the sweet golden pumpkins of India are of two types, first being raw and second fully ripe, both types of kashifal are prepared exactly by same method. The dish doesn’t require water as it will release a lot of moisture. But if you are looking for a soft texture like my mom loves, then I suggest you can add a part of water to make it a soft mashed texture. The method of cooking this vegetable is very easy and quick. For a portion of two, I have taken following ingredients:
Pumpkin 250 gm peeled and cut into chunks.
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
a pinch of Heeng (asafoetida)
Half a chilli fine chopped
1 or 2 Red Dry Chillis
1/2 tsp of chilli powder
1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
Salt to taste
and 1 tsp of sugar
Optional flavor is Curry leaves (fresh)
1 tbsp Mustard oil or 1 tbsp Ghee
- put oil / ghee in khadhai and let it get hot.
- Then add a pinch hing , fenugreek and mustard seeds
- Add red, green chillies and curry leaves too
- Add turmeric and immediately add kashifal (pumpkin pieces) into kadhai and stir
- Add salt and a little of chilli powder, cover it with a lid and let is simmer for 5 minutes.
- When the veggie is a bit tender then add sugar and ½ tbsp. mango powder.
- Stir it well and transfer in another bowl for preventing over cooking
Best served with Parantha or Puri.
I would vote for Puri (check this link for recipe of Puri)
Cook and Enjoy it now.