This is a recipe which I had my doubts about, but wanted to try it anyways as the combination is very interesting. It has both of my favorite ingredients Spinach and Rice. So I gave it a go and honestly I am surprised by its beautiful togetherness. It is a perfect blend. And it can be a great dish to be served in a buffet of your house parties. I would simply be cooking it more often and definitely it will be in the menu of our Cooking Sessions this season. So lets see the ingredients and its method. The below measurements are good for serving 2.
1 cups basmati or other good quality long grained rice
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups water
1 cup of fresh spinach (stalks removed, washed and drained)
1 tbs ghee
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp of cumin seeds, 1 bay leaves, cinnamon stick, few black peppers, 2 cloves, 1 cardamom
Optional 1 tbsp unsalted peanuts , lightly toasted or fried
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- wash the rice thoroughly, soak it for 10 minutes, and let it drain.
- Boil water in a pot over high heat. Blanch Spinach leaves by plunging them into boiling water. Put them in a colander and rinse under cold water. Drain and chop them into small pieces.
- In a medium sized saucepan, heat ghee (or vegetable oil) and fry the ground coriander and whole spices
- Add the rice and stir-fry until the grains are coated with ghee and become translucent.
- Add the chopped spinach, stir for a minute
- Then pour water into the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and cover the pan and cook gently on a low heat for around 8 minutes.
- If you wish to use peanuts, put them in without stirring, 5 minutes before the end of cooking. When the rice is completely cooked, sprinkle pepper. Mix the ingredients with a fork before serving.
Eat Fresh Live Healthy