The dish is fondly called Navratan Khorma in Indian Restaurant Menus. Navratan literally means Nine Jewels. Number nine because 9 Base Ingredients made the dish. Different vegetables like Cauliflowers, potatoes, green peas, beans, carrots, Paneer, cashew nuts, raisins, and Cream/milk/coconut milk. It is simple, apart from prep time it will be cooked in no time. Best to assemble once your guests start to arrive, as everything can be prepped and kept ready to use in advance. Lets see below the ingredients for a portion of 2 pax:
|Ingredients ( for 2 )|
|Potato diced||1small cup|
|Ginger-Garlic paste||1 ½ tsp|
|Chopped green chilli||2 tsp|
|Green cardamom powder||1 tsp|
|cashew paste||150 gms|
|Kismis (Golden Raisins)||1 tbsp|
|Ghee / Refined oil||1 – 2 Tbsp|
|Optional garnish Pomegranate ( red )||1 tbsp|
|Canned cherry (optional)||1 tbsp|
- Soak Saffron in 2 tsp of warm milk
- Dice all vegetables. Boil water and add potatoes in the beginning, after 2 minutes add carrots and cauliflower. After 2 more minutes add green peas and beans and take the pan off the heat. Transfer the veggies then in cold water to retain the colors.
- Heat 1 tbsp Ghee/ oil in a pan, add diced paneer cubes and fry till light golden, drain and set aside
- In the same pan add 1/2 tbsp of ghee more, add bay leaf, green chopped chillies & ginger-garlic paste.
- Add ¼ tsp Turmeric, ½ tsp red Chilli powder and immediately add cashew paste, sauté for 5 minutes on slow fire. Add cardamom powder. Saute well.
- Like in the picture above the paste will leave fat, it will take just a few minutes.
- Now add all the boiled vegetables , raisins, Paneer and toss well.
- Now add slowly Milk or Cream. If you like Coconut milk, add it instead of milk.
- Add the saffron milk and simmer for a couple of minutes till everything is creamy consistency.
- Garnish with Pomegranate seeds or Cherry or both. (this is optional things) .
- Serve with Rice or Chapati or Enjoy it as a warm veggie stew anyways.
Note: Saffron is for an additional flavor and color so do not worry if its not available in your kitchen today. Cook it anyways!
To make Cashew Paste: Soak unsalted cashew nuts in warm water for an hour or so. Then blend in a smooth cream. You can store it in in the fridge for a couple of days and use it in Pastas as well as in any cream base.
Cook Fresh ! Eat Well!