A rice and lentil porridge spiced up to give you the best nutrition with loads of flavor. I simply love khichdi and there are many many varieties of Khichdi made in India. Every region has its own, every religion has its own, and every house has its own version of making different kinds of Khichdi. It is essentially a well balanced mix of Lentil & Rice with vegetables which when cooked together become easy to digest by our body and completes a nutritional combo for a Vegetarian.
It is served as Prasadam i.e. blessings of temples in form of food, also made in Mosques and distributed amongst the pilgrims as a blessings, everyday served in a Sikh Gurudwara in a Langar. The Dish that is now officially our National Dish surpasses caste, creed and color. Here I am sharing with you the Baadshaahi Khichdi (literally Emperor’s khichdi ) so lets see this royal version of our humble national dish.
Ingredients for 2 :
1/2 cup yellow Moong lentil
1 cup Rice
1 tbsp Ghee
1 potato Aaloo
1 medium Onion
Salt to taste
½ tsp Cumin
¼ tsp Turmeric
4-5 Black pepper
1 whole red chilli
1 Bay Leaf
A small piece of Ginger (finely grated or 1 tsp juice extract)
Optional ingredients grated coconut and milk (recommended)
- The first thing when you start assembling the ingredients is to soak the lentils and rice in cold water (I suggest a good 30 minutes soaking time).
- Now boil 4 cups of water in a thick bottom pan.
- Once it starts boiling add soaked lentil-Rice
- Add Salt and turmeric. Keep it simmering on a medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Heat Ghee in another pan
- Shallow fry almonds, pistachio and raisins keep aside
- In the same pan add clove, black pepper, cumin seeds, bay leaves, whole red chilli(optional), cardamom, cinnamon all together
- Add cubed potatoes and onions and saute till golden.
- Add this tempering to the boiling Khichdi.
- Keep the pot on a medium low heat simmering for another 8-10 minutes, and in between stir to check if it is not sticking.
- Cook well the khichdi till you achieve a soft consistency. Add the ginger juice and serve hot.