Kele ki Kofte ki Tarkari
Raw banana kofta simmered with whole spices curry. This is an inspiration from the cookbook my grandmother used to follow. Though I used to make it with a different Base curry sauce but that is a choice and I have mentioned an alternate base sauce for the same dish. This particular sauce reflects very old style cooking of Indian homes, when surprisingly the sauces weren’t made of onion-tomato base.
6 Small plantain or 3 large -Kacche Kele
2 tbsp lightly roasted Chickpea flour -besan
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
½ tsp chilli powder
½ tsp black cumin – shah jeera
½ tsp cumin seeds
1 inch of cinnamon stick
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
Oil for frying
2 tbsp of ghee
1 tsp heeng (asafetida )
Method for Kofta
- Boil Whole bananas
- Peel them once you find them done, this needs to done little quickly.
- Mash these with a fork to a soft texture and add chickpea flour, add little salt and 1/2 tsp of ground cardamom
- Heat Ghee or Oil
- Fry small kofta balls very carefully. The temperature should not be too hot otherwise the thin outer layer will cook before the center of the kofta.
Method for the Sauce:
- Ground black and regular cumin, cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom. Add turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt, make a paste of all the spices with a little water.
- Heat Ghee in a seperate pan
- Add heeng
- Add ginger and the masala paste.
- Saute for a minute or two on a low heat.
- Add the Koftas
- Coat the masala on the koftas and add not more than 1/2 a cup of water to create a saucy texture
- Let this cook for a few minutes and it is ready to serve
Note: The gravy can’t stay liquid for a longer duration. Once it starts cooling it will get very thick. The dish needs to be served when you have added the koftas, otherwise it will get dry and dry with the passing time. I suggest adding koftas once you are redy to serve the meal
The Kofta can be served with another kind of base as we did for the Lauki ke Kofte. Just click on the link here Tomato-Onion Ginger-Garlic Base sauce
Try and make a difference to same dish!
Enjoy your Meals.