Carrot Pea Potato Masala
A favorite vegetable recipe of Winters in India which becomes popular in the months of November after the arrival of Red Indian carrots. It is quick- fresh- colorful and with loads of flavors.
- 4 medium sized Red Indian Carrots (or regular orange carrots) round shaped pieces
- ½ cup of green peas
- 1 small potato (cut in wedges)
- 1 medium tomato (chopped or sliced)
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- A Pinch or ⅛ tsp heeng / asafetida (optional)
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp fenugreek seed OR use black mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp Mustard Oil OR 1 tbsp Ghee or vegetable oil
- In a pan, heat ghee / oil
- Once you feel the pan is hot, add potato wedges, cook them till they get a light golden crisp layer.
- Add Heeng and mustard seeds
- Add turmeric immediately add carrots, add salt. Toss everything well for an even mixing. Cover the pan with a lid and let the veggies cook till soft in its own steam
- 5 minutes later check your carrots and potatoes with a knife. If everything is soft.
- Add peas and Tomatoes. Now add chilli powder and coriander powder.
- Toss everything well yet gently. Cover the pan again, let it cook for another 2 minutes till tomatoes get softer and juicy.
- Make Plain parantha or Puri while your veggi is cooking and serve immediately with your dish.
It’s a nutritious dish with less ingredients. Best eaten fresh (and not when re-heated). I always suggest all for eating very fresh, rather cooking a lot of food and storing it for days in your freezer. The way you eat fresh will give another level of energy to your life If we can spare time for everything in our life then why are we sacrificing on cooking for ourselves. Make small meals and save your time for cooking.