BOTTLE GOURD MUTHIYA
I would call it a Vegan Sausage. A hand made sausage shaped steamed dish, perfect replacement for its meaty version. You can finish it as a Kebab by grilling it ultimately and I bet it will adorn as a hero of your appetizer platter. Once I tried giving it a tandoori food color and I had to explain my Vegetarian friends that it is just humble Bottle gourd and not chicken.
Use it as a filler to Rolls and Wraps. My mom used to send it with paranthas and it tastes yum even as a cold dish. Take it to picnic, traveling, as it is double cooked (steamed and grilled), it has a long lasting life without refrigeration.
Lets try making it today. Please let me know your difficulty at any stage while executing the recipe. We can together make it work.
|Ingredients ( for 4 )|
|Bottle gourd (large sized)
peeled and finely grated
|Coarse wheat flour||1 cup|
|Gram flour||½ cup|
|Chilli powder||½ tsp|
|Turmeric powder||½ tsp|
|whole fennel and coriander seeds||½ tsp each|
|Ginger (finely chopped or crushed)||1 inch|
|Green chilli (finely chopped)||1 medium|
|Baking soda||A generous pinch|
|Coconut , grated (optional)||As desired|
|Mustard seeds||1 tsp|
|White sesame seeds ( optional )||1 tbsp|
- Squeeze the grated bottle gourd. For better results, salt the grated bottle gourd and keep aside for 5 minutes, then squeeze – this reduces the water and also seasons the vegetable.
- Assemble all together like the picture above and now mix. Knead lightly to incorporate the ingredients.
- knead into a soft dough. Let the dough sit for about IO minutes. ( the dough should not be too thin. It should be of medium consistency should not drip from a spoon very easily. I f the dough becomes sticky,add more gram flour to make it soft.)
- Shape the dough into thick, long, cylindrical pieces resembling bananas. Apply a bi t of oil on your hands beforehand, to make the shaping easier.
- Put i n a steamer for about 20 minutes. Insert a knife or toothpick to check i f they are ready. I f ready, he tooth pick / knife will come out clean. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Slice into roundels.
- For the seasoning, heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the curry leaves. Add the steamed roundels and saute until crispy.
- Add the sesame seeds (optional) and saute until golden and crisp.
- Serve hot, garnished with fresh coriander and grated coconut.
For your reference Lauki:
This bottle shaped veggie is Lauki. I suggest to my cooking guests using a Zucchini or Courgette in place of Bottle gourd as it has closest resemblance in terms of texture and flavor.
In my very first post I did Lauki Ka Halwa-Bottle Gourd Halwa . This is a wonderful vegetable. and has tremendous health benefits.
I hope you will enjoy this dish.
Cook Fresh Eat Healthy.