Summers have already arrived in India and its already 40 Degrees out there. Soon schools and colleges will be shut for summer break. And we are most of the times home, that calls for extra load on the kitchen. Families come together to spend fun times in summer breaks, people visit their distant cousins, houses will be full of chattering-giggling and of course lots of cooking. The days will begin with lazy Chai Time and planning the breakfast, which will finish with discussion for lunch. And the most favorite is always Rice dishes— quick, easy and good for creating full meal.
This one is dedicated to my aunt who was probably the best in making these spiced rice dish. I could feel her love in every bite.. That’s what a dish is – much more than just a recipe of ingredients!!
Enjoy creating this for your family with lots of Love.
Aaloo Ki Tahari (Spiced rice with potatoes)
|Ingredients ( for 4 )|
|Pulao Rice (preferably any basmati quality, not the most superior)||1 fist each (fill your fist with rice, counting the number of people to feed)|
|Coriander Powder||1 tsp|
|Chilli Powder||½ tsp|
|Ginger (fine chopped / finely grated)
Green chillies (fine chopped) –
|1 inch ginger
1 medium chilli
|Cumin seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Onions (fine chopped)||1 large|
|Ghee- the clarified butter||1 1/2 table spoon|
|Salt||1 tsp (adjust to your taste)|
- Wash and soak the rice.
- Wash, peel and cut potatoes into quarters.
- Heat fat in a pressure cooker, add potatoes and onions, and caramelize.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Mix coriander powder, turmeric and chilli powder with a little water and add in the pan, and fry slowly. Stir and cook for a minute.
- Drain the rice and add to the contents in the pan.
- Add the same amount of water as to the amount of soaked rice. (for eg. 1 cup soaked rice — 1 cup water)
- Close the lid of the cooker, after 1 whistle–lower the heat and wait for another whistle. Immediately, close the heat.
- Let the cooker release its pressure on its own. It will take around 3-4 minutes.
- Open the lid and gently stir the cooked rice, garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Serve and enjoy
- Equal quantities of potatoes and cauliflower may be used instead of potatoes only.
- If not using pressure cooking, use 1 cup rice to 1/2 cup of water. and after 1st boil cover it cook for next 5-6 minutes.
- Green chillies are optional
- If you have garam masala powder sprinkle over the rice before serving.
- always rest rice for 5 minutes before serving